Since I know you all have been keeping up with the helpful style tips and trends by Miss Tiffany Reo, I am confident you have the perfect summer ensemble to wear this Labor Day Weekend! Now that your becoming a pro in the wardrobe department, I am your go-to-gal to tell all the best places to hit the streets and knock em dead.
I cannot believe I am writing this but: Labor Day Weekend is THIS weekend people!!! So hopefully I am not the only one who hasn’t even begun to plan their weekend festivities. This blog is not dedicated to those lucky ones who will be on the beach with sun, sand, and a drink in their hand as mister Kenny Chesney would put it. (Can you tell you I just got back from Countryfest last weekend?)
This is for all of us that will be in the city and refuse to settle for throwing a mini-umbrella in our drink and calling it a celebration! Being in the city this weekend can be filled with fun, so hop on the recession “staycation” fad and get out there and make me proud.
If you are still stuck here is a list of ideas and helpful websites that can book up your weekend so fast you’ll need a vacation from your holiday.
1) What is better than a mozareppa, followed by a funnel cake or fried oreo? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Skip the calorie counting, go buy yourself a horrendous pair of knock-off designer sunglasses (just don’t tell Tiff), and go to one of the many festivals and street fairs going on Labor Day Weekend. Check out this website for all the listings: http://manhattan.about.com/od/eventsandattractions/a/septstreetfairs.htm
Also, I hear the West Indian Carnival Parade in Brooklyn is amazing so definitely venture out of Manhattan and check that out.
2) Whip out your white and check out some of the stores involved in the “Wish You Were Here” event. This cool idea is a temporary trade of locations between over 30 independent boutiques in the Lower East Side and the Newburgh Quarter in London. This is a great way to get some cool new styles that no else will be wearing and a chance to call yourself an international stylista. For a list of participating boutiques and more information check out: http://www.wishyouwerehereswap.com/lower-east-side-events/
3) You may want to save your super chic outfit for after this one! Big City Fishing in Hudson River Park. I know you are thinking I am crazy but they provide everything you need for free! “Rods, reels, bait, and instruction.” What else could you want?!Just make sure you bring the beer and a koozie because you are definitely going to need it for this one. Check it out in two locations: Pier 46 (Charles St. at the Hudson River) and Pier 84 (44th St. at the Hudson River) from 10am-4pm.
4) With everyone flocking away for the weekend this is the best time to be a tourist in your own city and hit all the hot spots without spending hours waiting in line. Of course, I am not saying to go stand on line to go to the top of the Empire State Building…I pass that line everyday and everyone looks like they might jump off when they finally reach the top! Instead, try pretending your in Venice and rent a Gondola at the Boat House in Central Park. *Hot tip: if you want to skip the gym and sleep in, rent a row boat or paddle boat for a nice little relaxing workout.
5) While your in the park there is nothing more festive than a good old fashioned picnic. Since we all don’t have time and energy to pack up the picnic basket (or my case go buy one) and make home-made jam..I suggest picking up deli sandwiches and a bottle of wine because that is really all you need! This is a easy way to enjoy the whole day or just an hour or two, so there is no excuse not to try this one!
6) If music is your scene and house music is on the agenda, check out the Electric Zoo Festival. It is a weekend long concert with fours stages and over 50 artists that takes place at Randall’s Island Park. Tickets are $55.00 per day or $100.00 for the whole weekend. My favorites in the weekend line up include: Benny Benassi, David Guetta, and Armin van Buuren. So turn off your Pulse 87.7 dance radio station and go listen to your favorites perform outside. For more info and to purchase tickets go to: http://electriczoofestival.com/
7) Take this opportunity to go wild and put on those new fabulous dancing shoes you’ve been dying to wear! The 24ktstyle girls have been known to get involved in a dance-off or 2 so check out Time Out New York’s best clubs to shake your bon-bon (had to throw a Ricky reference in there!) http://newyork.timeout.com/articles/clubs/73377/best-dance-clubs
8) Here at 24ktstyle we don’t forget about the fellas! One word: BREWTOPIA. The Labor Day Weekend Great World Beer Festival runs from September 4th-6th at the Park Avenue Armory. Ticket prices run from anywhere from $45-$60 that will get you tastings from every beer you can think of (sorry girls I already looked there is nothing light on the menu!) This is an indoor event so in case the weather isn’t perfect, like most of the events on this list require, you can still enjoy a cold one Go here for more info: http://brewtopiafest.com/
How can I add anything else after Beerfest? Impossible…so I am signing off here and hoping you share with me some more ideas to beat the heat and enjoy Labor Day Weekend in the city with me!
Just remember, while “the others” are stuck in massive traffic on their way back, we will be relaxing and enjoying the last hours of our holiday weekend. Now go ahead and throw that mini-umbrella in your cocktail and call the weekend in the city a success!